‘Mendis’s arrival will prolong my career’

Special Correspondent, The Hindu

Colombo: In some disconcerting news for batsmen around the world, Muttiah Muralitharan, a predator of an off-spinner, announced on Saturday that the arrival of a young help-mate would prolong his career.

“Now that Ajantha (Mendis) has come, I think I can play Test cricket a few more years,” said Muralitharan after the spinners had combined to take 19 of India’s 20 wickets in the first Test here at the SSC.

“Bowling 50 overs in an innings is very hard. Now if I can play only 30-35 overs and he can bowl more than me — he is a youngster still — the job will get easier for me.”

Muralitharan had more bad news for international batsmen. He said his spin partner would prove just as much of a scourge.

“When I started, I had just the off-spin, and I had bigger turn. He has more variations. That’s difficult for the batsmen. If he keeps his head calm and keeps performing this way, he will definitely take a lot of wickets in international cricket.”

Credit for seniors

Mendis, for his part, credited the seniors in the side for his success. “I had the senior players helping me around, especially Murali bowling from the other end,” said the nerveless debutant. “I didn’t feel nerves because it was just another game for me.”

Muralitharan dismissed Sachin Tendulkar in both innings, earning the distinction of having dismissed the master the most times (7) in Test cricket. “I bowled very well to him, keeping the pressure and both times, he played false shots,” said Muralitharan, describing his strategy.

Sri Lanka’s win also involved several excellent calls for referral.

“If it wasn’t there, we probably would have had four bad decisions going against us in this match,” said Mahela Jayawardene, the Sri Lankan captain who made three of them (batsman Tillkaratne Dilshanmade the other).

Tough decisions

Added Jayawardene, “Sachin’s and Rahul’s decisions were both tough ones for the umpires to pick up, especially when you have two bowlers like Murali and Ajantha at the batsmen on these kind of tracks. It is not easy. They just needed that extra bit of help.”

Blog Widget by LinkWithin